The inspiration for this appliqued shirt came from an old Bernina advertisement that I ran across in an old quilt magazine. It inspired me to get up out of my chair and dig deep into my closet for one of my chambray work shirts and say, “Let the embellishment begin”!
First off, I removed the pocket from the shirt and monogrammed it with my initials in some hot pink thread. Then I bias cut thin strips of fabric for stems and positioned them where I wanted to applique garden flowers and then cut lots of leaves from the same fabric so that they wouldn’t look bare when they were sewed on. I then went to my applique folder and selected several types of flowers to use and cut them from several different fabrics so that I would have a whole medley of flowers in my garden!
I made my flowers spring from the shirt tail hem and vine across the yoke. And my plan is to add some little critters like bees and dragonflies before I am finished.
Of course, like everything else in my sewing room at this moment, it is a work in progress. I have so many projects going that I can’t seem to settle on one and work on it until it’s finished. Instead I flit and flutter from project to project, like a bee frantically feeding from a cloud of blossoms trying to get some nectar from each one, doing a little on each one and not finishing a thing.
But progress, even if it is slow, is progress! I will post a finish when I have it complete.
Enjoy, Merry Gay