Wednesday, May 2, 2012

A Place of Her Own

                Photo04251410

I have to apologize to all of my readers.  I promised this post at least 2 weeks ago.  Sometimes life just gets in the way.  Sorry Sad smile.  Anyway, here it is.  I made this bed for my sweet puppy, Sophie, a couple of weeks ago.  It wasn’t hard since all the hard work (the quilting) was already done for me and all I had to do was cut it out and stitch it up.  This is an old quilt that was on my oldest son’s bed when he was LITTLE.  It was pretty much worn out.  In fact, it had a hole chewed out of one corner by another puppy which is sadly not with us any longer.  In spite of the hole, I decided that someday I might find a use for it, so I packed it away in my ‘junk room’ JUST IN CASE!  LOL.  I have a whole room full of ‘JUST IN CASE’ upstairs, so I need to get busy!

At any rate, back to the dog bed.  I eyeballed the size and decided that 4 quilt blocks x 3 quilt blocks would be just about the right size for the bed, so I cut 2 of those pieces out for the top and the bottom. 

               Photo04251409_2

Notice the pretty edge.  The quilt had those fancy edges and I didn’t want to waste the opportunity to use them.  I knew I wanted the edges to extend out from the edge of the sides of the bed, so I cut the edges measuring about 4 inches from the top of the fancy edges.  Then I started sewing.  I sewed the cut edge of the side to the perimeter of the top.  Once that was done, it gets kind of tricky because I inserted a zipper into one side of the bed so that it would fall underneath the fancy edge,  But once that was done, it was a piece of cake to sew the bottom piece to the sides. 

              Photo04252252

Oh, sorry for the bad picture!  Anyway, I did not make an insert for this dog bed, but rather filled it with cedar bedding that I purchased from the pet store.  It smells heavenly.  And when the bed needs laundering, you can just take it out in the back yard and dump it out,  wash the bed, and fill it again with fresh cedar.  It’s working out really well.  At first, Sophie could care less about her new bed, having grown accustomed to the sofa.  (Did I mention that she is spoiled?)  But now, after having it for a couple of weeks, she has warmed up to it.  Now I need to dig out another ‘treasure’ from the junk room upstairs and make her one for the sewing room!

 

Enjoy!  Merry Gay

1 comment:

  1. I love this dog bed! My two dogs weigh 65 and 100 lbs. so store bought dog beds are rarely big enough. And they are ugly on the floor. This is so pretty and so comfortable for Sophie. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete